Project Server 2010 – Moving Project Sites and deleting the old PWA causes issues

Recently we had to deconstruct the entire Project Server environment and rebuild it.  This involved moving the sharepoint sites related to the projects and then re-attaching the old project server databases to a new PWA (ie, the old PWA was, the new PWA is  Then we had to relink the PWA projects to their old but moved sites urls.

This all went fine until the moment we had to view or edit the properties of the documents in the team sites.  We would get a lovely correlation error when trying to view or edit.  The generic error was:

05/30/2012 10:36:10.02  w3wp.exe (0x207C)                        0x1D80 Project Server                 General                        g7ls Exception  System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.    Server stack trace:      at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)     at System.S… 22df46a2-3f76-4c8c-b317-d2076882b490
05/30/2012 10:36:10.02* w3wp.exe (0x207C)                        0x1D80 Project Server                 General                        g7ls Exception …erviceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)    Exception rethrown at [0]:      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)     at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Interfaces.IAuthentication.GetUserByName(String username)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.AuthenticationHelper.AuthenticateUserByName(String userName, Guid … 22df46a2-3f76-4c8c-b317-d2076882b490
05/30/2012 10:36:10.02* w3wp.exe (0x207C)                        0x1D80 Project Server                 General                        g7ls Exception …siteId) 22df46a2-3f76-4c8c-b317-d2076882b490

Changing the includeExceptionDetailInFaults property of the D:Program FilesMicrosoft Office Servers14.0WebServicesSharedProjectServerPSIweb.config file to "True", we get a more meaningful error:

05/30/2012 10:36:12.68  w3wp.exe (0x207C)                        0x282C Project Server                 General                        g7ls Exception  System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: No site found (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is: System.InvalidOperationException: No site found    at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.DataAccessLayer.DAL.GetConnectionStrings(PlatformContext context)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.DataAccessLayer.DAL..ctor(PlatformContext context)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.PlatformContext.get_Dal()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.PlatformContext.InitSqlCommandTimeout(CachedContextProperties cachedProperties)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.PlatformContext.PreInitialize(Guid trackingId, Guid siteId, SPUrlZone urlZone, CultureInfo languageCulture, Cultu… a73494b6-2bff-4b2f-9faf-67ad55d9f7d9
05/30/2012 10:36:12.68* w3wp.exe (0x207C)                        0x282C Project Server                 General                        g7ls Exception …reInfo localeCulture)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.PlatformContext..ctor(Boolean isWindowsUser, String username, Guid userId, Guid trackingId, Guid siteId, SPUrlZone urlZone, CultureInfo languageCulture, CultureInfo localeCulture, Guid delegateUid, String delegateName)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.Platform…). a73494b6-2bff-4b2f-9faf-67ad55d9f7d9

After reviewing the possibilites of what could cause this, I found a few things:

  • Project sites have special content types (Project Site Document)
  • The Project Site Document has a special field type (Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.CustomFieldTypes.SPFieldPWALink)
  • Project site lists have event receivers (Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WSSEventReceivers.PSDBUpdater)

I tried several different things before I found the one item that was really causing the issues with viewing and editing.  They included:

  • Trying to remove the content type and set them to "Document" – Didn't work
  • Trying to remove the event receivers (removing them was successful, but it didn't fix the problem)
  • Removing the "Links" column values from all the items (the values removed, but it didn't fix the problem)
  • Removing the "Links" field from the list – this was the answer

Turns out that the custom field type had recorded the old PWA url and when the display forms were trying to render, the call to the PWA authentication service would fail because it couldn't find the old PWA url. After removing the "Links" field from the "Content Type/List" and changing the content types to "Document", we were able to viewedit the properties of the items once again:

$f = $list.fields["Links"]

foreach ($li in $list.items)
if ($li["Content Type"] -eq "Project Site Document")
$li["Content Type"] = "Document"


Follow me on twitter: @givenscj

Check out the previous blog post:

Leave a Reply