Last Updated – 7/17/2012 12:07pm…
Here's a list of things that I have seen change so far:
Let's start with WORST feature (from this is a SUPER BAD IDEA standpoint):
- Azure based workflows with SharePoint Designer – this is a total disaster about to happen. End Users have NO CLUE what EAI stands for nor how to implement it properly. This stuff requires computer science degrees and careful planning! To allow this type of workflow will literally get lots of people fired (or merely reduces in rank). If you don't know what EAI is, read up on it know before you start playing with this stuff. If mutil-platform workflows were easy, everyone would be doing it. This stuff goes for upwards of $400/hr to design right!
- This can only work if you can lockdown the Azure workflow calls (which I haven't research yet)
- For more info on what EAI really is, turn to the GOD – Martin Fowler – http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321200683?tag=enterpriseint-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0321200683&adid=1SKS2N0FK4WW4VAPGWWG&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eaipatterns.com%2F
And the rest of stuff that is pretty cool:
- Push Notifications to mobile devices (this one is VERY interesting)
- Workflow are now .net 4.0 based! This is a VERY important point and requires lots of testing!
- Logging now has directories! No longer a single file with all log entries! – YEI!
- Site Deletion Policies with a new "Site Closure" feature (basically hides the site from users without deleting it)
- ASP.NET 4.0 instead of ASP.NET 2.0
- Two new service applications:
- Machine Translation – for translating your documents into other languages –
- Translation Services! – BY FAR THE COOLEST PART OF SP15!
- MMS SUPPORT IS INCLUDED!!! – I wrote this for 2010, but cool to see it actually OOB now!
- Work Management Service – task aggregation across work management systems
- THIS IS SUPER COOL BY THE WAY – AGGREGATE ALL TASKS IN MULTIPLE PLATFORMS (SHAREPOINT, EXCHANGE, PROJECT SERVER)
- Claims auth changes
- No more need for sticky session – THIS IS HUGE! – THANKS MICROSOFT!!!
- SharePoint is actully ahead of the curve this time – JSON responses in metadata endpoints – AWESOME!
- More service application databases support log shipping – WOOHOO!
- Integration with AppFabric (Request Mangaement)
- Shredding Database – (Deduping files and reducing wire line byte transfer)
- New Micro blogging feature (sorry NewsGator)
- Document Conversion has an IMMEDIATE feature (I could have used this months ago!)
- If you don't know what DS is, it allows you to "Programmatically" convert documents to mutliple formats (DOC->DOCX, DOCX-PDF) and at the same time, to execute field updates like Table of Content (TOC) in place in a library
- Extensible Analytics framework
- When using the "Rating settings" you have the option to "Like" rather than "Rate"
- No More PowerPoint (.thmx) themes, back to HTMLHTML5
- DataSheet View Editing of MMS Columns in list – THIS ROCKS!
- Developer Dashboard looks sweet now, it was only ok before
- *Somewhat* improved permission prem
- Wish Group were global and not scoped at Site Collection levels = LAME
- Office Web Apps is seperate server (not a service app anymore)
- Utilizes WOPI – Web Application Open Platform Interface
- User-defined funtions don't work anymore 🙁
- Improved URLs for Office Web App links (they aren't ugly anymore)!
- Office Web Apps can now CREATE documents (not just edit and view pre-created ones)
- Office Web Apps has more supported (client like) features
- New REST based API for OWA programming/development
- Image and Video rendering is improved greatly!
- Just add some videos and pictures into a document library and check it out for yourself!
- A new look and feel with a new header menu that includes:
- A link to Social
- A link to the
- A link to the Site of
- The typical user
- A new “settings” link
(similar to “site Actions” in previous SharePoint versions
- A help link
- A feedback link
- A “Share” link for
granting access to a site
- A “Focus” link that
hides all but the main content area of a page
- Removal of the retarded "Claims" vs "Windows" auth radio button in web app creation
- A new "Apps" link in Central Administration for accessing an App Marketplace
- New site templates:
- Developer Site
- Project Site
- Community Site
- Multipage Meeting
- Discovery Center (old Records Center)
- Community Center
- Product Catalog
- A newly designed "My Site Host"
- New Error page with Expandable details
- New "Metro" look and feel on the team sites
- Office Web Apps is no longer a service application
- Web Analytics is part of Search Service Application
- eDiscovery – Export from a file share into SharePoint
- Personalized search results based on search history
Stay tuned for a killer Development blog post!